101 Shimmies Volume 1
This DVD by Samra Iara, who is originally from Brazil but now lives and teaches in the US. It is the first in a trilogy offering "101 shimmies". I'd love to know whether she's claiming to teach a hundred and one shimmies, or whether she meant "Shimmies 101". I suspect the latter - but either way, at least it's more realistic than the 1001 variations promised by Leyla's DVD!
This is a highly technical DVD for those who want their shimmies broken down in fine detail. In fact it's so focussed on technique, it doesn't even use music! It really does cover a wide range of shimmies all the way from shoulders to knees.
Some people feel there are too many words and not enough dancing - but that's not really the point of this DVD. It's also fair to say that Samra is not outstandingly good at shimmies herself, which is surprising given her background - but she certainly knows the theory.
Moves covered are:
- HEAD - Slide, Crescent, Circle, Toss, Flip, Tilt
- SHOULDERS - Thrusts, Lifts, Drops, Rolls Slides, Up/Down, Shimmy
- RIBCAGE - Slide, Circle, Rock, Shimmy, Figure 8
- HANDS - Flicks, Shimmy, Close/Open, Extend/Contract, Palms Up/Down
- ABDOMEN - Pops, Staccato Undulation, Contraction, Rolls
- FEET - Point/Flex, Circle, Extend, Touch and Lift
- KNEES - Cross Plie, Circle, Lift, Push
- HIPS - 6 directions of articulation, 3 Original Sources of Shimmy, Shimmy of varying intensities, Walking Shimmy, Standing Shimmy, Freeze and Vibrations
- HIP ACCENTS AND PATTERNS - Arches, Letters, Designs, Single Hip Circles, Side Choo-Choo, Walking Hip Drops, Running Choo-Choos, Omis, Twisting Drop Walks
- THORAX - Pulse (fast shimmy), Afro-Brazilian Shimmy
- PELVIS AND BUTTOCKS - Turkish Shimmy, Hip V Walk, Buttocks contraction and release,
- LIFTS/DROPS/POPS/LOCS of various body parts
101 Shimmies Volume 1 on eBay
|Sorry, we cannot find any matching products for sale on eBay right now.